Sunday, 26 January 2014

contents page reserach

Contents page examples

NME
NME's contents pages are incredibly consistent in terms of layout and that is what I would like to incorporate into my magazine. They set their pages numbers and index all up the right hand side and then highlight the key features on the right hand side in bigger and more bold font. They only use on image which is of the main topic of the weeks issue but I would like to possibly have one or two more than this but I would like to also use the idea of having an example picture and using it in the subscription section of the contents page.

NME second contents page 2
This copy of NME has a slightly different layout in terms of the contents page as it is far more spaced out and rather simple in comparison to the original two in terms of the bhouse style but that is because it must have a link in terms of style with its front page and the corrisponding front page for this conetnts page is different in terms of style aswell as it is more formal and basic but does still have a slightly urban element with he font and yellow colours. This contents page has far more images and far less content than the original NME but what I like about this is the fact that although it has gone for a far more image based page; it has not lost the vita; information that is essential for a good contents page and this is the iea that i would like to use as i would like to make my contents page rather easy on the eye in terms of visuals but also do not want to lose the necessary information and features and to do this you must use the space well and I believe that this is what this page has done.

Kerrang
Kerrang has recently changed their contents page setup but I decided to use these two slightly older examples as they highlight ideas that I like and would be interested in using in my contents page. In these two they have used far more images than the examples of NME and I prefer that as it makes the contents page a little less text heavy without making it seem to simply with too many images. The idea of more images also adds a slight bit more clarity to what is in the magazine to the reader as sometimes people may only know people through faces and no their names. Another idea that they have made consistent in their contents pages is the idea of using two key colour throughout for font and that is again an idea that I would like to use, in these two they use the two contrasting colours of black and yellow, in mine I would most likely think of using gold and white possible as these two colour features heavily throughout my front page especially golf which is the colour of my masthead.

Billboard
This example of a billboard contents page connotes a more simple idea as it is far less busy than the other two and does not use as many content sections or separate features', it simply just lists the more important features and that is it. It uses one image of what is clearly the headlining/main topic of the issue it then fits the text around the image. I do not like the idea of only using a small amount of magazine content but I do however like the idea of moulding my text around my main focus images and avoiding separation between the images and text and therefore I may think of incorporating this idea into my work in some way.





Rolling stones magazine

This copy of rolling stones magazine is similar to Billboard in regards to the layout with the content all forming the right hand side of the page and images being used on the left. In this there is far more content and it is divided up into sections as well which makes it far more organized and easier to navigate for the reader. The use of images are slightly different as they are images of different covers used by the magazine and there is no separate image of the main topic of the magazine or artist involved which makes this contents page far different from others and although I would like to use the idea of advertising the magazine subscription by using an image of a front cover; I do not like the idea of not using an separate images and not highlighting a key point or topic of the magazine.
Rock-sound
The contents page of Rock sound is rather similar to Billboards in terms of the lack of text and having just one large, dominating image that takes up half the space on the page. This image is a nice image that shows all four members of the band in a rather comical way with the animations of animals on their body. This idea of the animations is meant to link with the title of the extract which is on the front and that is "inside the mad world of panic at the disco", this links well with the idea of madness as these animations are rather peculiar and extra ordinary which can constitute madness.The colour used on the contents page are rather basic yet work quite well with the idea of the red used to highlight the  numbers and main features title linking to the red in the sofa and several items of clothing that the band members are wearing.One thing that i certainly would change about this image is the fact that the band members are all, wearing the same clothes that they wearing on the front page and therefore there is no variation or change between the two images in that sense.








No comments:

Post a Comment